Wednesday 1 February 2012

Lost generation?

One of my facebook friends mentioned in a status update about my generation being tagged the "lost generation". In his post he had a point, that although the current climate sucks for my generation there have been far worse. There are generations pre-benefits systems and pre-NHS that couldn't afford health care or not to have jobs and ended up in workhouses. There was a whole generation of young men forced to go into battle and die on the front lines of world war one. Those that survived were those that had to live through two world wars. In comparison to them, my generation has it easy. That is a definite.

However, compared to our parents generation for example, it could be argued that we do have it harder. I believe the tag the "lost generation" is wrong, but we defiantly don't have it easy. As someone replying to his status mentioned we really are more like the generation of broken promises. We were encouraged to stay on in school, do A-level's at college, go to university and obtain a degree (or degrees). We were told that jobs were plentiful and it would be easy to pay back the amount of debt we have ended up in through higher education once we were in our well-paid-professional-degree-requiring jobs. What has happened is that we all left university, to a changed world. These promises could not be kept. The economic situation had led to millions of redundancies (including my own at one point) and a massive amount of unemployment due to obvious shortage of jobs available and companies not even hiring to replace those who have left. Our degree's became almost worthless as the amount of positions available has become so low, and many don't require a degree. Although, obviously having one might give you the edge I suppose, but many of my friends have been told they are simply too well qualified. With applicants being sometimes in excess of 300 for one post, you can see how the amount of young people that are unemployed easily mounts up. We were plunged out of degree-land into a world we no-one wanted us, in tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt.

It's not just a problem when it comes to debt or employ ability. Housing is another difficult area. With many of us being unable to buy due to low income or bad credit, there are two options left: private renting and council housing. With approximately 40 families competing for each available council property it would seem private renting is the way to go. Well, that's before you factor in the amount you pay in rent is often as much as a mortgage. Housing benefit is available to those who otherwise could not afford to privately rent, but actually letting somewhere on housing benefit can often be an up hill struggle. This is due to the fact that many letting agencies and landlords stipulate that they will not accept tenants on housing benefit. Mainly due to local authorities haphazard payment schedules. Although there is, technically, all this potential. in reality it is simply one hurdle after another.

All this obviously affects me. This is before you factor in other concerns. For example, disability and relationships. Being disabled presents problems in all areas. You are obviously less employable, this is true for almost every disability, although some are clearly more employable than others. M.E and fibro, for example prevent many problems for a potential employer. Some of which include, differing abilities (one day may be able to walk, another day be on crutches, and on a third day be confined to a wheelchair), lack of ability to concentrate for a long period of time, unpredictable and often lengthy time off sick. As I have said before who would want to employ someone with all of these problems? I know I certainly wouldn't. From a housing perspective also disabled people once again, face problems in all areas. You often can't afford to buy due to lack of work. There are fewer council houses that fit the bill required by a disabled person. Due to lack of work many disabled individuals will receive some form of benefits, usually including housing benefit. Then, if you are fortunate enough to find a landlord willing to accept housing benefit you are unlikely to find one will to allow you to their modify their property to meet you needs. So, you either have to accept their offer and try and make do with minimal modifications (as I do) or continue your search to find somewhere that meets all your needs.

As for relationships, it is easier, from the point of view of receiving benefits, to be single. I am good example here, because I am married, and my husband works in excess of 24 hours per week I cannot receive ESA. If I was single, or even in a relationship but not co-habiting, I would receive ESA. I would also get the full amount of rent in the form of housing benefit. And the government wonder why people don't marry? There are many other examples I am sure.

NHS that provide me with health care that I otherwise could not afford. I had the opportunity to go to university, not once but twice and therefore have qualifications in two different professions that may be of use to me someday. I can't work because I am too sick, but I can claim benefits, so although it is tight I can live, I can get by, I don't have to work myself into an early grave or end my days in a workhouse! No, chances are I probably will never be able to own my own home, and though this makes me sad it is not the be all and end all, and there is always hope however small. Although I cannot make all the modifications to my flat that would make my life easier I can make some, I can rent privately, I have found a land lord that will accept the contribution our housing benefit makes to our rent and I am not forced to live with family whilst having a husband and a 1 year old! It's truly all about the way that you think about things.

If presented with all the above facts, I count myself as lucky to be part of the "lost generation" because we are clearly not as "lost" as others before us. I have somewhere to live, a loving husband, supportive family and beautiful daughter. Sure it would be nice to have my health, a house, a job and some money but it's not stuff I need. I have all I NEED and more, I'm rich in love.

Now rant over, here are mine and Niamh's 366 photos from today:


And Niamh, doing her kissey face, so sweet!


Night folks!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the positivity (in spite of the M.E.) - really nice write!

    ReplyDelete