Tuesday 16 August 2011

Another day!

Niamh got a new toy today, an expense but an important one. She needs things to keep her amused for when I can't, for when I don't have the energy, concentration or ability.

She has a bouncer and play mat when she was first born, then dad bought her a mamaroo (high tech bouncer) and a swing when she got ill with silent reflux (before when knew what was wrong with her), mainly because she wouldn't remain in one thing for long without becoming distressed. I had to make a kind of baby assult course in my living room and move her from object to object as she became upset. This seemed to work. When we found out about the reflux though we made one simple investment (after a lot of research), a moby wrap. This allowed me to tie her to myself and keep her upright (helping the silent reflux) and close, warm and comfortable. The fact it was a wrap meant that her weight was spread out over my shoulders, back, waist and hips, thus saving my joints and muscles, and there were many ties and carries incase I was having problems with certain areas. It also meant she could rest and sleep when she wanted to, without me having to hold her myself.

Since she turned 4 months these (other than the mamaroo which she can still use and still loves) have been swaped for other, more age appropriate pieces of equipment. A in door bouncer, which has since be swapped for a stand alone one as it turns out I can't get her in or out of the door bouncer alone! And her new today toy, a bouncer/walker/push along walker that I got from ebay for £15. Very chuffed, as it's cute, pink and looks like a car. Plus, Niamh will LOVE it because it's noisey, and I like it because you can turn the sound down!

I spend a large percentage of my life feeling guilty because I let her watch TV. I long to be the completely hands on parent, that can spend all my time actively playing with my child and always finding new and inspiring things for her to do, but in my reality this just isn't possible. I would rather that the time I can set aside each day to play with her is good quality and that we both get the most out of it. I always put the TV on educational channels (well as educational as is suitable for her age) and have invested in some children's TV dvd's that I watched as a child so that we can enjoy these together (although I feel this may be a little more selfish than selfless as baby tv is doing my head in).

Well thats about all the energy I have for today. Cross fingers that Niamh enjoys her new toy!

No comments:

Post a Comment