Sunday 18 September 2011

Holiday - Day 1 - Saturday 10th September

Right so I have spent most of my holiday making notes on my phone about what's been going on. There's going to be a lot of photo's because I kept a photo diary and am having a massively hard time choosing between them. I'm obviously very tired as well so it saves my energy on having to type too much! Thought that I would do each entry by its self so here goes:

Day 1 - Saturday 10th September

We were surprisingly organised and we all up and ready to go when my parent's, Angela and Karl arrived to pick us up. Which is rare, Niamh even sat still and watched us, although we couldn't resist putting Chris's hat on her:


We got in different cars, (me and Niamh with my parents, and Chris with Angela, Karl and all the bags) and got dropped off at the airport. Dad and Karl went to park their cars at Karl's dads and me, Chris, Niamh, Angela and my mum all went for a coffee in the airport. We took this oppotunity to give Niamh some breakfast, and with all the excitement she made one hell of a mess. I don't think Angela knew what she was letting herself in for when she said she'd hold Niamh whilst I fed her!

When dad and Karl got back we checked in, and thanks to Angela and Karl working at the airport we got fast tracked through secuirty. We also got a reduced rate at the BA lounge due to this, so we headed straight there, stopping only very briefly at the shops. It was lovely, chilled out, quiet and with food and drink free we made sure we ate as much as possible, they did the most amazing bacon roll and Niamh enjoyed pigging out on pastries:


Now, something you should know, and I think I have previously mentioned, is that I'm not a great flyer, in fact, it scares the crap out of me. I have to be medicated to I don't drive my family completely nuts. For these reasons, the plan originally was that Chris would have Niamh on his lap for the flight. But at the last moment I changed my mind, thinking I would be forced to be calm so that it didn't rub off on Niamh. I was right, I was calmer and she slept for most of the flight, both my legs and right arm completely went to sleep, so most of the flight I had only one functioning limb! The only time she got even the slightest bit cranky was when we were landing and she was clipped in again, so she couldn't really look out of the window:


Once we landed in Palma it was time to go to baggage reclaim, in Palma that can be quite a walk. In past years I have had wheelchairs at each end, weird bus things off of planes and all the hassle it brings. This year, as there has been an improvement in my condition since I had Niamh we didn't do this. Figuring we could hire a wheelchair out there like we normally do, when required. I took my own on a plane a few years ago, and when we reclaimed it at the airport the baggage handlers had broken it, not convienent if you need it. Of course however, when I got off the flight I wished I had asked for special assistance. I was very worried I wouldn't make the walk, but had no choice, so I found my own solution. Who needs a wheelchair huh!:





The plan was to all go to the hire cars and head off to Pollenca, however, such is everything when I'm around it didn't quite work like that. Dad and Karl had to get a mini-bus to go and get the hire cars, which in my mind is stupid. Especially as we had hired a car seat for Niamh from the car company, which wasn't in the mini bus, if I had been travelling alone with Niamh I wouldn't have been able to get to the car, because she wouldn't have been able to go on the mini-bus to get to it.

So me, Chris, Niamh, Angela and mum all went for another coffee (theres a thing) whilst dad and Karl went to get the cars. Whilst we were sitting there Niamh made friends with another baby, it was all very cute until she tried to pull off his trousers:


We had a nice drive to the villa, and Niamh, once again slept through most of it. We drove past a forest fire, which was quite big, but they have it sussed there. We got to see the sea plane in action (we see it practicing loading and unloading water every year) and a helicopter that appeared to have a rather large bucket dangling from it.

The villa was nice, has it own private pool and four bedrooms. It had fans for each room, of which none worked, so we hired two fans and an air conditioning unit. The air conditioning unit was for our room but we couldn't get it to work properly so Angela and Karl nicely gave us their fans dad had hired for them and we moved into another room, with less space but it seemed to be cooler.

Niamh settled okay although the travel cot looked SO uncomfortable, then again so were the beds.

We all sat and had a drink and when mum and dad went to bed we went for a swim :)

No comments:

Post a Comment