Sunday 18 September 2011

Holiday day 4 - Tuesday 13th September

Niamh did end up co-sleeping with me, from about 4.30-5 until about 6ish but more because of the majorly creaky beds than her inability to settle. I moved her in bed with me to keep her quiet whilse Chris heated up her bottle (everything echos in the villa and whenever she cried I was risking waking everyone). It turns out, when he came back up we were both fast asleep, so he dream fed Niamh and left us as we were. Niamh woke up in a really good mood:



Mum, Dad, Angela and Karl went out, to Palma and Soler. To be honest I suppose I did feel a bit left out but at the end of the day it was my choice so I shouldn't. I didn't want to take Niamh into the heat, Palma's very built up, and for that reason very hot and the trip to Soler involves a very pretty but very warm train journey.

I also kind of hoped would have helped me out more with Niamh throughout the holiday so I could rest, but they haven't. May I stress was not their fault, I had been a major stress head, (worrying about Niamh and her fluid intake), Niamh had wanted me all the time (even over Chris) and besides, I hadn't asked!

Chris got up with Niamh and I got up about an hour later because I could hear her crying and shock, horror, the DVD player was broken, and our portable DVD player wouldn't play Postman Pat. Niamh honestly seemed to think that this was the end of the world, so Chris was getting ready to take her out.

We went to the beach and watched the sunrise, sat Niamh on the sand and let her play with it. We were both very surprised that she didn't attempt to eay it!

After a bottle (minimal) and breakfast (LOTS of watermelon) Niamh went down her nap. She has just decided that she wants to wiggle, turn over, move around the cot. This is at least somewhat preventable when she's at home, in her cot because you can tuck her in. Not in the cot she was in on holiday! So we were constantly having to go upstairs and put her back onto her back, after she had rolled on her front and got stuck! My arms have been playing up, which basically means that if she needed to sleep Chris would have to settle her as she wouldn't self-settle in the cot (can't blame her the mattress was about an inch of foam on some wood), and I could only do it lying down. If I then moved, she would wake up because of how creaky the beds were.

When she woke, me and Chris took her for a walk down the sea front and to a toy shop to get her something as a special treat. Heres a picture of her looking over the bridge at the fishy's with daddy:


We stopped at a shop on the way back to grab some lunch, and ended up having to carry Niamh home as she was falling alseep, and she needed to have lunch before her nap (it would have gotten very cold otherwise). Following her afternoon nap, she had a rest and then we went for a swim, she wasn't very keen on the pool this time so she went in her little paddling pool and happily splashed away for a while. She wouldn't let me go for a rest because she wanted me all the time, in the end we popped her in her highchair with some toys and Penny Crayon on the portable DVD player until everyone else came home:



She was so excited to see everyone. She had dinner, and a mini-milk to help her teeth as they had been really playing her up. Mum had just run her a sink bath and she suddenly got really upset. This resulted in me having to whip her out of the highchair to give her a cudddle. Not normally a problem. Except, the highchair, Niamh and her nappy were all soaked from watermelon, squishy from avacado and sticky and cold from the mini-milk, I had to take my top off in the middle of the kitchen so that I didn't get completely covered in it all! She calmed down, had her sink bath, played with everyone and when she started looking sleepy we took ger to bed.

We had given up on the self-soothing whilst on holiday, we gave it a try each time she went down but wasn't going to force her, only for everything to change again when we got home on Saturday. Decided to let her lead the way, this calmed everything, including (and possibly most importantly) my stress levels!). As long as she had some bottles, 3 meals and a nap (ideally two), then it was fine by me. We did learn that NEVER under ANY circumstances, should she miss both naps. Cranky isn't even the word! In fact, missing both naps results in an excessive level of grumpy crank in a certain little Niamhy pants!

We all had dinner, a drink and chilled out then went to bed. Mum had a SMALL glass of sangria hee
hee:



When I checked Niamh I noticed her monitor was flashing red, this is to show the parent that there has been an incident of 15 seconds for which she didn't breathe (well more like, where it didn't sense movement) and it had had to use the vibrate function to stimulate her, this always scares me. I reset it and went to bed hoping it wouldn't do it again, or worse alarm!



No comments:

Post a Comment